Sunday, January 31, 2010

Vain Imaginings

Many years ago I was introduced to the works of Florence Scovel Shinn. The first book I read was, "The Game of Life and How to Play it”.

She uses the phrase “vain imaginings” quite often to describe the blocks and barriers to achieving what you want. These are the self-imposed barriers we humans often attribute to others.

Published in 1925 it was the “Secret” before “The Secret”.

There was something about the phrase that always stuck with me and I have thought about it at different times trying to get to its true meaning.

A completely different meaning came to me while watching a movie yesterday.


I had always used the meaning of vain that means; empty or void, unproductive of success. In the movie I saw how the other meanings of vain, characteristic of false pride; having an exaggerated sense of self-importance, also applied. Each character that was upset and un-forgiving was experiencing the hurt due to their “vainess”. When they finally woke up and saw the other person’s side they were able to be happy again.

I immediately experienced a similar upset and with this new insight was able to move forward and not hang onto the upset.

Life, the universe, God or whoever is up there or out there is giving us exactly what we ask for.

We just need to keep ourselves out of our own way with our vain imaginings.

No comments:

Post a Comment